In this blog from Radiant Primary Care in Victorville, Apple Valley, and Barstow, we discuss primary care.
What Is Primary Care?
Primary care is the first point of contact for individuals and their families when seeking healthcare. Its goal is to diagnose, treat, refer to specialists, or prescribe medication for any health concerns, ranging from minor issues such as sprained ankles to chronic conditions. Primary care also includes preventive care, which is intended to keep people healthy and to prevent any symptoms or conditions from getting worse. This can involve things like vaccines and bloodwork.
How Can Primary Care Keep Me Healthy?
The team at Radiant Medical Group are experienced and knowledgeable primary care physicians who are key to the prevention and early detection of many illnesses and conditions. Twice a year, regular check-ups with your doctor can help you to identify potential health problems before they worsen, or diagnose any existing conditions and give you the necessary treatment. Preventative medicine is the most effective way of reducing symptoms and avoiding long-term health issues. Additionally, getting treatment for conditions early on can greatly improve your health.
Having a relationship and history with your primary healthcare provider can make discussing your health and receiving treatment much easier. Meeting with a new doctor can be difficult and time consuming. However, if you visit a physician who is familiar with your medical history and knowledgeable about any developing conditions, your healing progress or worsening symptoms can be monitored. Going to a doctor that does not have experience treating your particular symptoms or illness can lead to extended testing and observation periods, potentially worsening your symptoms as you wait.
At Radiant Medical Group, we take pride in the long-term relationships we have with our patients, from young adulthood to retirement age. In addition, we offer specialized geriatric treatments that are not generally provided by other doctors or facilities. So you can trust Radiant Medical Group to keep you healthy at every stage in life.
Excellent Primary Care Results In Lower Healthcare Costs
Research has demonstrated that when healthcare systems prioritize primary care, it can have a positive effect on patients in the long run. Not only do patients often experience better results overall, but they can also experience quicker recoveries and save money on treatments and missed wages.
It is easy to understand why taking good care of one’s health can lead to cost savings. For example, if a mammogram reveals breast cancer in its early stages, treatment can begin right away. Similarly, if routine blood tests show signs of diabetes, a primary care physician can help a patient make changes to their lifestyle that could help prevent diabetes altogether.
What Are Some Of The Most Common Diagnoses From Primary Care Physicians?
- For many adults, hypertension, commonly known as high blood pressure, has no identifiable cause. This type of hypertension, referred to as essential (primary) hypertension, tends to develop gradually over time.
- Hyperlipidemia occurs when there is an excess of fats, like cholesterol and triglycerides, in the blood. Hypercholesterolemia specifically means that there are high levels of non-HDL cholesterol and LDL (bad) cholesterol present. If this condition is not addressed, it can result in fatty deposits collecting in the arteries and increasing the chances of blockages.
- Type 2 diabetes is a chronic condition that is characterized by elevated levels of sugar in the blood. Symptoms of this disease can include excessive thirst, frequent urination, and exhaustion. Additionally, it can also increase one’s likelihood of developing serious complications with the eyes, heart, and nerves.
- No findings from a routine medical examination. Sometimes, the concern is a mild issue that can be easily resolved without any prescriptions or other medical intervention.
- Immunizations. Immunization is becoming more and more common, such as the yearly flu vaccine and the Covid-19 vaccine. Vaccines are used to stimulate the creation of antibodies and give protection against one or more illnesses without causing the illness itself.
Choose The Caring And Gentle Professionals At Radiant Primary Care
If you’re ready to stay up-to-date on immunizations or need a routine medical examination in Victorville, Apple Valley, or Barstow, call Radiant Primary Care today!